Canada Summer Jobs is a program under the Youth Employment and Skills Strategy, which aims to provide flexible and holistic services to help all young Canadians develop the skills and gain paid work experience to successfully transition into the labour market.
The CSJ program objectives align with the redesigned Youth Employment and Skills Strategy and are as follows:
- provide quality work experiences for youth
- respond to national and local priorities to improve access to the labour market for youth who face unique barriers
- provide opportunities for youth to develop and improve their skills
The program provides wage subsidies to employers from not-for-profit organizations, the public sector, and private sector organizations with 50 or fewer full-time employees, to create quality summer work experiences for young people aged 15 to 30 years.
For 2023, CSJ is returning to its regular parameters and will offer quality jobs over the summer months. The jobs will need to end by September 2, 2023. Jobs will need to be full-time with a minimum of 30 hours a week and a duration of at least 6 weeks.
In the context of COVID-19, employers are responsible for ensuring health and safety measures are in place and are in accordance with municipal, provincial and federal public health guidance.
How to Apply for the Canada Summer Jobs Program 2023
You can submit your application(s) in several ways:
- Using an online fillable application
- Using Grants and Contributions Online Services (GCOS)
- In person
- By mail
It is recommended that you submit your application electronically using the online fillable application or GCOS as the ability to submit an application in person or by mail could be impacted by office closures related to COVID-19.
Key Dates for the 2023 Canada Summer Jobs Program
- Applications are due by January 12, 2023 ( 11.59 am PST for online applications)
- Funding confirmations will be sent to employers starting in April 2023
- The earliest job start date is April 24, 2023
- The latest job start date is July 24, 2023
- The latest job end date is September 2, 2023
- The latest date to submit a payment claim is 30 days following the completion of the last Canada Summer Jobs-funded work placement.
Notification of Results -Canada Summer Jobs Program
Funds are distributed among the successful applicants based on the results of Service Canada’s assessment of applications, and from feedback provided by Members of Parliament during their review of the list of projects eligible for funding in each constituency.
Service Canada will inform you of the status of your application starting in April 2023. All eligibility and funding decisions will be confirmed in writing. You can also check the status of your application through GCOS if you applied via GCOS.
Funded employers and youth participants will be asked to complete questionnaires to provide Service Canada with feedback on their CSJ experience. The mandatory employer questionnaire must be completed prior to submitting a payment claim. It is also mandatory for employers to provide the youth participant questionnaire to youth employees funded through the CSJ program, although completion of the youth questionnaire remains voluntary. Both questionnaires will be provided to funded employers during the notification phase.
For More Information: Canada Summer Jobs wage subsidies - Canada.ca